I had run in 24-degree weather before, but I cut my distance short when I lost the ability to feel my finger tips. This past Saturday was another 24-degree day. So I decided to dress accordingly:
- 1 pair of thick wool socks (DeFeet Woolie Boolie)
- 2 pairs of pants (Nike running pants lined with leggings from American Apparel)
- 1 pair of running shorts
- 1 long-sleeved shirt (LuLu Lemon)
- 1 light pullover (not sure where this is from)
- 1 warm-up jacket w/ zipper (ADIDAS)
- 1 hooded sweatshirt
- 1 knit hat with insulated lining
- 2 pairs of mittens*
* one was just not enough the first go-round.
I was too warm by the time I got to Prospect Park, about a mile away from home. I ditched the hoodie, tied it around my waist, and continued the rest of the run.
My calves were a little tight all through Prospect Park, so I considered making this a short run and heading home after the loop and a quick trip past the Barclays Center. By the time I got to Barclays, I realized two things:
1. I didn't have my Metro card (or a credit card)
2. It was starting to snow.
Without the Metro card, I wouldn't be able to comfortably push up through Manhattan like usual, knowing that I could easily hop on a subway to get back home. And anyone in a right frame of mind would notice the inclement weather and feel even more justified in calling their trip short. In that moment, however, all I could think was:
"I wonder how the Brooklyn Bridge looks when it's snowing."
Above: Brooklyn Bridge, just starting to snow.
That was my first run with a legitimate half-time break. I jogged home from Barclays, grabbed the necessary cards, said a quick hi to my roommate, then headed back out. I ended up running along the Hudson through Manhattan and up to 34th Street where I decided to take the High Line (I had never run it before) back down to Houston.
Above: "New York Water Taxi," near Chelsea.
As has become my tradition, I stopped at the Whole Foods on Bowery for hot chocolate before heading underground to take the F train back home. (One day I'll run all the way back.)
In retrospect, I probably didn't need that extra pair of leggings, and I certainly didn't need the hoodie. But when I left the market, hot chocolate in hand, the snow was coming down pretty heavy—and I was really glad I could wrap myself in another layer.



Man, I overdress in 60 degree weather here in Ventura County, CA. No threat of snow or below zero temps. Especially, no threat of an arctic vortex swooping down upon the Malibu coast (at least no time soon!). Still, I start my run with a fleece REI jacket and after a mile, I feel like a wuss. Fellow joggers are in shorts and tee shirts. Not me! The jacket goes through several permutations until it finally rests wrapped around my waist. Who knew?!
ReplyDelete